Contest Planning

Sit down, chill, talk about all in this Off-topic section. Remember, life is a reality to experience, not a question to be answered.

Moderator: Dux

Contest Planning

Postby MewDragon on Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:22 pm

Hey guys,

I'm really interested in having some epic contests around pokemonfan.net and I was hoping we could have a little brainstorming session here with this thread.

What kind of contests would you like to see, what kind of contests would you want to participate in.

After all, we've got to remember that while there are many contests that seem "cool" many are either too complicated or not something that resonates with people to get them interested in actually participating in.

So, any help in thinking of what we possible contests we could do would be much appreciated. Remember that pokemonfan.net is now far larger than Cerise Island was, even at the height of it's time, and that we have many more resources that we can call upon to create, manage and run contests. (We've got Shingetsu and PokeSocial to run/advertise contests on, in addition to pokemonfan.net itself, we've got good affiliates, more members, etc.) All this can be brought into play. Also, ideas for prizes or what you guys would think would make good prizes would also be appreciated. Keep in mind that while forum/internet prizes are all well and good I am more than willing to buy stuff and have real prizes which can be sent to people, as we did in the past on cerise.

In any event, a couple ideas I've got off the top of my head:

- a pokemon rp event: some kind of rp which has a limited run but an awesome storyline, prizes at the end for participants.
- chat trivia: self explanatory, did it on cerise.
- treasure hunt: did it on cerise before, could do it on a much larger scale now that we have more places to put the 'treasures'.
- webmaster contests: love the idea, want to do it, I'll be working on different kinds of webmaster contests, any webmasters that have ideas can post.
-------
http://pokemonfan.net/community.html
Join the ONLY pokemon social network on the web; PokeSocial!
MewDragon
Grand Master
Grand Master

Feats: 13
Reputation points: 2
Subtract reputation point

Re: Contest Planning

Postby Miror B. on Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:15 pm

I personally find we have many writers and potential artists on this site. I think a contest implementing a theme every month or so, and we have to creatively take that theme and put pokemon in it, would be a lot of fun.
"Knights do it two-handed!" Drunk guy from a bar, FF5
"That's not teen crisis, that's you realizing you suck." - ManualSearch

ImageImageImageImage
Miror B.
"Official" Post Whore

Location: In your base, having a drink or two with your doods
Feats: 5
Reputation points: 4

Postby Dran on Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:03 pm

How about Wi-Fi tournaments? Think it's at all possible? o_O
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Agate Village RP Trainer Card

Dran

Feats: 7

Postby MewDragon on Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:50 pm

Absolutely, but a tournament requires people. And I am not convinced that we have enough people, on Shingetsu or in the entire Islander Network atm who play over wifi to form a tournament.

We could certainly do it, but I suspect it would be distinctively small time.

I shall add it to the list of things we want to do though.
-------
MewDragon
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Dran on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:17 am

I meant something along the lines of having it over the Friend Code Wi-Fi system. Each battle, one of the opponents would tape it, and upload the video to the tournament thread. Or one would just take a picture of the results. If we tape it, one of our Pokemon on each team would at least temporarily have the name of the user, if not their trainer name itself, so we know who's who.

If photographing results on the other hand, we'd have to ask both players to confirm the results and claim which trainer name belongs to which user, and disqualify both if the loser won't admit to losing (unfortunately, we have to be very strict here given the fact that a photo won't be nearly as clear as a video). Personally, I find the former option so much better, kind of like a SSB tourney in design, but I'm not so sure if we can upload videos... Can we?

Dran

Postby MewDragon on Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:27 pm

An interesting question.

Um, I'm not actually sure. I know I have equipment set up on the site for streaming video, but I'm not sure if the forum has that kind of equipment, and I suspect that it doesn't.

If not, we can certainly host it on the site, and your account on shingetsu works on the site, so that shouldn't be a problem doing it like that.

I would be advertising the tourney on the site anyway.
-------
MewDragon
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Dran on Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:26 am

Cool, thanks. :) But this brings up another question, this one unfortunately being classified at the moment... I'll ask you on PokeSocial.

Dran

Return to Pokemon Square