3D Movies - Yay or Nay?

Sit down, chill, talk about all in this Off-topic section. Remember, life is a reality to experience, not a question to be answered.

Moderator: Dux

3D Movies - Yay or Nay?

Postby Agito on Wed May 13, 2009 7:49 pm

If you think I am talking about movies where we use 3D animation in general, think again.

Since I work at a movie theater, I have heard a wide variety of things about 3D movies. That is, the sort where you put on 3D glasses in order to get depth perception and such about the movies, and things may look like they are "coming out of the screen."

Admittedly, when I tried it, I noticed no significant difference in the visual effect, except that the dark lenses made the screen appear a little less bright. Admittedly, that is something I appreciate, since I almost always turn down the brightness on screens. Of course, this was for Coraline, which was probably not the best evaluation, but it did look kinda cool. I just do not know that it is all that necessary.

Some people seemed to be particularly against it, in contrast to the crowd that act like it makes the movie. I do not remember why, exactly, but I imagine that there are still downsides (including that it really sucks if those 3D glasses get dirty, because the lenses are plastic and just get smeared worse if you try to clean them).

Comments, anyone?
Agito
Triathlete

Feats: 8
Reputation points: 5
Subtract reputation point

Re: 3D Movies - Yay or Nay?

Postby Lieutenant Charizard on Thu May 14, 2009 9:02 pm

I like 3D movies, you do see 3D popping effects from time to time, but what the 3D movies usually have when you wear the glasses is more added depth, mind you though that the movie is not entirely in 3D. Things that usually are 3D tend to look blurry and such but mostly what we see in theaters now in 3D is just added depth and a few eye popping effects here and there. I've seen several myself and I have noticed these things, but I am yay with 3D movies, though not all of them are great, they are sometimes worth seeing.
Does my breath smell of rotting corpses? C'mon, take a wiff, I won't eat you, I promise. Well...maybe a lick on your face wouldn't hurt. I want a small taste.
Original date joined and post count since old Cerise:
July 02, 2005
Lieutenant Charizard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Feats: 3

Postby CamdenXIII on Fri May 15, 2009 12:30 am

I think it's a load of horse dung! to make you pay $15 for a 3D movie when all that's different it the glasses. You're practically spending $8 on the glasses...
CamdenXIII
Supreme Overlord Administrator

Feats: 7
Reputation points: 4

Postby Ridley Prime on Fri May 15, 2009 6:34 pm

Nay. What Camden said pretty much sums it up for me. ^ ^
Image Image
Ridley Prime
Juggler

Postby Agito on Sat May 16, 2009 2:05 am

Actually, $2 for the glasses. At least, here, that is the case. :x

I mostly see no point in making some things in 3D when the effect does not add much to the movie. For example, Coraline was a stop-motion film and the blurriness added by the 3D aspect felt rather out-of-place.

There are times when it really works well. I just think that some companies need to have more discretion on when it is appropriate and when it is not.
Agito
Triathlete

Postby CamdenXIII on Sun May 17, 2009 1:06 am

I dont know, I thought it at least seemed cooler sounding with Coraline. I hate the 3D movies that jsut play on stupid effects like normal. "Oh God! That axe looked like it was coming right at me! So cool!"
CamdenXIII

Feats: 7

Postby Agito on Sun May 17, 2009 2:56 am

Yeah, the movies that count on that drawing crowds... fail. As a rule. :x

I just felt weird using the 3D glasses, really. It did not feel like it added too much to Coraline. It was a cool effect, but it just did not seem all that necessary.
Agito
Triathlete

Postby Ridley Prime on Thu May 21, 2009 7:28 pm

hmm Speaking of movies, I'm probably gonna see that new Terminator one sometime soon. :) At least it'll be more worthwhile than X-Men Origins: Wolverine or Dragon Ball Evolution. lol

But yeah. Still believe that 3D is an unnecessary effect in this case.
Image Image
Ridley Prime
Juggler

Postby Raijuu on Thu May 21, 2009 8:16 pm

If people wanted to see 3D, they'd use real people./

Or develop holograms.

Whichever is cheaper.

Well, I guess the glasses are chaper, hence the use of them. But they are only as good as the people supporting them.

So, I say, nuts to you, glasses!
I wish to be the old man
Raijuu
Juggler

Reputation points: 11

Return to Pokemon Square